The Garden Of The Gods
James H Egbert
- Title: The Garden Of The Gods
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Interstate 25
- Nearest Town: Colorado Springs
- Brief Directions: The Garden of the Gods is located near the city of Colorado Springs (less than an hour south of Denver on Interstate 25). Take highway 24 west off of I-25. There are numerous signs and the GPS coordinates are not necessary to locate the area.
Please see the link below for complete write up. I can submit a MS Word Doc file.
- Notes: There is a valley near the base of Pikes Peak known since the mid-19th century as the Garden of the Gods. It is a garden not of flowers, but of rock - of kissing camels and stone toadstools, balanced rocks and mammoth sandstone walls tilted upward toward the Colorado sky. Travel-writer Ernest Ingersoll once called this garden "a gigantic peep-show in pantomime." Novelist Helen Hunt thought it "the very climax of some supernatural catastrophe" And all-American hero Charles A. Lindbergh was fully convinced that he had never seen "more spectacular and magnificent place."
- Best Season: Spring
- Gear: Long Pants, Hiking Shoes, WATER and a Camera!
This Photo Has Been Viewed 2590 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!