- Title: White-tailed Ptarmigan
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Guanella Pass
- Nearest Town: Georgetown
- Brief Directions: I-70 to Georgetown, then follow Guanella Pass road to the top. In winter, they usually close the road a couple of miles from the top. Extra snowshoeing/hiking required.
- Notes: I usually snowshoe until I find their tracks, then follow the tracks until I find the birds. I find it best to lie in the snow until the birds get used to you. Plus you get more intimate portraits.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Winter is a great time to photograph these birds. Their winter plumage, combined with some fresh snow, makes for some clean images.
- Gear: Canon 1D Mark2 300mm f/4L
This Photo Has Been Viewed 127 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!