Mark H Holtz
- Title: Cuchara Valley
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Hwy 12 (Highway of Legends)
- Nearest Town: Cuchara
- Brief Directions: Cuchara Valley is nestled in between the Wahatoya peaks (Indian name Breast of the earth, also called Spanish Peaks) and the Sangre De Cristo ( blood of Christ) mountain range. With names like that a photographers creativity already begins to flow. The valley starts where Highway 12 (Highway of Legends) splits off of Colorado highway 160. The eastern side of the valley laps up against the Spanish Peaks a national forest. On the West the valley is defined by a series of peaks which are part of Sangre De Christo National Forest.
A trip up the valley is defined by driving along the Highway of Legends which winds along with the Cuchara River. Beginning at La Veta, â€œthe vainâ€ named for its historic mining beginning, one can go from 6,000 ft to over 9,994 ft at the top of La Veta pass.
- Notes: For full description see author.
- Best Season: Summer
- Gear: A tripod is essential for low light photographing for the igneou
This Photo Has Been Viewed 935 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!