Great Sand Dunes, National Park, Co
James H Egbert
- Title: Great Sand Dunes, National Park, Co
- State/Province/Region: Colorado
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: U.S. 160
- Nearest Town: Alamosa
- Brief Directions: Great Sand Dunes National Park is located 35 miles northeast of Alamosa, Colorado, reached by U.S. 160 and Colorado 150 from the south, or from Colorado 17 and County Lane 6 from the west.
By car: From Denver, Colorado Springs, or Pueblo, the fastest route is south on I-25 to Walsenburg, west on US 160, north on state highway 150. For a more scenic drive from Denver or Colorado Springs, you may also get on US 285 south, then state highway 17 south, then County Lane 6 east. From Albuquerque, drive north on I-25 to Santa Fe, then north on US 285 to Alamosa.
By air: Commercial air service is available to a small airport at Alamosa, Colorado. Colorado Springs and Denver are served by many commercial airlines. Rental cars from major rental companies are available at airports in Colorado Springs and Denver. Rental cars may be available in Alamosa: call L&M Auto Rentals at 719-589-4651.
By bus: There is no public transportation to the park itself, but Greyhound Bus Lines serves Alamosa and Blanca, Colorado. Call 800-231-2222 for fare and schedule information.
- Notes: Animals: Poisonous snakes do not exist anywhere in this high elevation park. Rattlesnakes are occasionally seen south of the park boundary, as the elevation gradually decreases. Scorpions, tarantulas, and gila monsters are not found in this high mountain valley. Deer and elk are commonly seen in the park and on park roads. Pronghorn antelope also graze near park roads. Drive slowly, especially at night, to avoid hitting one of these animals.
This is a great Colorado Sunset Location and camping areas are in abundance.
- Best Season: Spring
- Gear: Water, Sun Block, Layered Cloathing, Daypack and Hiking Sandels
This Photo Has Been Viewed 2017 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!