- Title: Apalachicola Morning
- State/Province/Region: Florida
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: The Forgotten Coast
- Nearest Town: Apalachicola
- Brief Directions: Apalachicola is located at the very east end of the Florida panhandle.
- Notes: Staying at the Apalachicola River Inn puts you right on the water where you can easily watch for pelicans, gulls, anhingas and rustic fishing boats from your deck chair. Eat next door at Caroline's, as the food is good and the oysters and shrimp are fresh out of the water. The historic Coombs Inn is a couple of blocks from the river and is a great place to stalk interior shots of rich color and light in a beautifully preserved Victorian-era mansion. This is a B&B where the rooms are quite nice and the hospitality is excellent.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: The Apalachicola area is a quiet departure from the bustling high-rise environment of Florida's glitzier developed panhandle communities. It's real deal old Florida, where the oysters you eat at lunch were shucked just down the street that morning. Photographers will discover plenty of texture and color in the old town; birdlife, too, as the trawlers empty their nets and process oysters at the town dock on the Apalachicola River, a tributary to the Gulf of Mexico. Nearby is 30 miles of gorgeous beach on St George Island, a barrier strand on the Gulf that's easily reached by car.
- Gear: Nikon D800; Nikkor 24mm/f1.4 lens; Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod; B+W Wide Angle Circ Polarizer
This Photo Has Been Viewed 148 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!