Haleakala Np, Maui
- Title: Haleakala Np, Maui
- State/Province/Region: Hawaii
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: End of Route 378
- Nearest Town: Kahului
- Brief Directions: The end-of-road summit and hiking trails can be reached from Kahului via Route 37 to 377 to 378.
- Notes: Visitors flock to the summit in the pre-dawn darkness to view the sunrise, so best to arrive at least an hour before dawn to secure parking and viewing spots. The drive from Kehei takes about 2.5 hours. The main trail into the crater - Sliding Sands Trail - is very exposed, so good sun protection is highly recommended. Plan to spend the entire day - colors within the crater change dramatically as the day progresses, offering otherworldly views. Enjoy!
- Best Season: Summer
- Gear: Tripod. Warm clothing if going for sunrise. Sunblock!
This Photo Has Been Viewed 529 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!