- Title: Success!!!
- State/Province/Region: Illinois
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: St. Louis, MO
- Nearest Town: Grafton, IL
- Brief Directions: Look for Alton IL, about 1 hour outside St. Louis MO
- Notes: It takes lots of patience to capture this magnificent birds in action, as they will sit for more than an hour before suddenly become airborne to swoop to the river and grab a fish in their talons
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: The confluence of the Mississippi, Missouri, and Illinois Rivers generates sufficient turbulence that the waters do not freeze even in the dead of winter. The open water is a magnet for bald eagles who migrate here from the northern U.S. and Canada to fish when their summer fishing beds become sheets of ice. This spot is known locally only and provides wonderful photographic opportunities to capture our nation's symbols in
majestic and dramatic activity.
- Gear: Nikon D200; Nikon 200-400mm f4 telezoom
This Photo Has Been Viewed 420 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!