- Title: Smoke Break
- State/Province/Region: Kansas
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Flint Hills, Kansas
- Nearest Town: Westmoreland
- Brief Directions: The Flint Hills are located in East Central Kansas, from near the Nebraska border, south Northern Oklahoma.
- Notes: Anybody interested in coming to Kansas to photograph this spectacular event needs to pay close attention to the weather. Windy conditions, along with conditions too wet, or too dry, will cause the ranches to postpone until a later day. I've photographed the prairie burns, which always take place the first 2 weeks in April in conditions ranging from mid 90 degree temps, down to below freezing in the mid 20s!
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: This photograph is of an elderly Cowboy, taking a break from strumming on his guitar next to a bonfire, smoking a cigarette. The cowboys were burning pastures, taking a break for dinner. They would continue pasture burning after dinner, into the night. Cowboys on these Flint Hills ranches often entertain themselves during these breaks by singing to a guitar, or story telling. One can see the prairie fires extend as far as the eye can see. At night, the silhouettes of the hills are traced by fire. Its a truly spectacular site!
- Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 50mm F1.4 lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 344 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!