Cat Island Nwr
Patrick T Walsh
- Title: Cat Island Nwr
- State/Province/Region: Louisiana
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: US HWY 61
- Nearest Town: St. Francisville, La.
- Brief Directions: Brief directions: Cat Island NWR is located within a short 5 - 10 minute drive of St. Francisville in West Feliciana Parish which is 30 minutes north of Baton Rouge. The refuge borders the Mississippi River and Tunica Hills.
- Notes: The Mississippi River floods Cat Island NWR every Spring, sometimes for several months and as much as 15 feet. Plenty of wildlife; bald eagle, swallow-tail kite, roseate spoonbill, etc. For water levels (requiring a small boat) call ahead to the St. Francisville Inn or West Feliciana Parish Historical Society. Other times - the refuge trail along Blackfork Bayou is a great location.
- Best Season: Spring
- Gear: Water - Bug Spray , During flooding - kayak or canoe
This Photo Has Been Viewed 2150 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!