- Title: Blue Mounds State Park
- State/Province/Region: Minnesota
- Country: United States
- Nearest Town: Luverne
- Brief Directions: From the town of Luverne, go north 4 miles on Minnesota Hwy. 75. Turn east on County Road 20 and go 1 mile to park entrance.
- Notes: Blue Mounds State Park is full of natural surprises. Start with the Sioux quartzite cliff, rising 100 feet from the plains. A bison herd grazes on the prairie. Prickly pear cactus blooms in June and July. A sea of prairie grasses and their flowers sway in the wind. The park is also a favorite for birdwatchers who want to see nesting blue grosbeaks and other birds.
1/80, 5.6, ISO 100, 18MM
- GPS Longitude: 96
- GPS Latitude: 43
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: This photo was taken on a warm July afternoon, with slight humidity. In search of prairie cacti, the timing was off and the blooms were mostly done for the year, yet I came across this formation. A pleasant and rewarding surprise.
- Gear: Canon Rebel XT, 18-55MM Lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 1140 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!