- Title: Blue Spring
- State/Province/Region: Missouri
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Ozark National Scenic Riverways
- Nearest Town: Eminence, MO
- Brief Directions: Three hours southwest of St. Louis, MO; two hours east of Springfield, MO; On Highway 19 44 miles south of Salem, MO.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: The spring flows relatively slowly from a very deep cave shaft that is situated at the base of a dolomite bluff. The average flow of the spring is 93 million gallons. The recharge area for the spring can be calculated to be approximately 107 square miles using the mean annual flow in cfs as a guide, and this approximation is supported by the current knowledge of the local groundwater flow that has been obtained using dye studies (Aley and Aley, 1987). The recharge area for the spring includes the headwaters of Logan Creek which is nearly 10 miles from the spring itself (Aley and Aley, 1987). This part of the recharge area lies in the topographic watershed of the Black River. The underground conduit of Blue Spring has been explored and mapped to a depth of over 300 vertical feet.
- Gear: EOS 1v, 35-350mmL, Velvia, Gitzo tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 369 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!