Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area
Michael G Marshall
- Title: Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area
- State/Province/Region: Nevada
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Charleston Boulevard/State Route 159
- Nearest Town: Las Vegas
- Brief Directions: 17 miles west of the Las Vegas strip, travel west on Charleston Boulevard/State Route 159 to the entrance of the park
- Notes: The Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area encompasses 197,000 acres of the Mojave Desert. The most significant geologic feature of Red Rock Canyon is the Keystone Thrust Fault. About 65 million years ago, it is believed that two of the earth's crustal plates collided with such force that part of one plate was shoved up and over younger sandstones. This thrust contact is clearly defined by the sharp contrast between the grey limestones and the red sandstones of Red Rock Canyon.
- Best Season: Winter
- Gear: Sun protection (sunscreen, hat, sunglasses) and water.
This Photo Has Been Viewed 917 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!