White Mountains, Autumn Chiaroscuro
- Title: White Mountains, Autumn Chiaroscuro
- State/Province/Region: New Hampshire
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Glen House, Mt Washington, White Mountains
- Nearest Town: Gorham or Jackson
- Brief Directions: From Boston Metro-West, Nashua & Manchester, NH:
Follow I-93 North through Franconia Notch to Exit 35, Rt. 3 North. Follow Rt. 3 through Twin Mountain, NH. Then take Rt. 115 to Rt. 2 in Jefferson, NH, follow Rt. 2 East to Rt. 16 and then follow Rt. 16 eight miles South out of Gorham, NH to the Mt Washington Auto Road.
- Notes: Although autumn (late September/early October) in the White Mountains is, arguably, unmatched anywhere, brace yourself for the crowds of leaf peepers who drive through these forests this time of year. Book early for your stay, and avoid Route 16 between Conway and Jackson if you hate to be stuck in heavy traffic, especially on weekends.
That caveat aside, these mountains are a great destination any time of year. Other attractions: Mt Washington Auto Road and Cog Railway, Conway Scenic Railway, good hiking, hotels, restaurants....
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: An early October storm had just cleared. The fall color in the trees was brilliant in the new sunlight, contrasting nicely with the fast-moving cloud shadows. Viewpoint was from Glen House, adjacent to the entrance to the Mt Washington Auto Road.
- Gear: Nikon D80, Nikon 12~24mm and 18~200mm zooms, polarizer, Velbon tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 1754 times
, Scenic Routes
, Natural Wonders
, Historic Locations
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!