Barnegat Lighthouse State Park
- Title: Barnegat Lighthouse State Park
- State/Province/Region: New Jersey
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Broadway
- Nearest Town: Barnegat Light Boro
- Brief Directions: Garden State Parkway, exit 63; east on Rt 72 to Long Beach Island; north on Long Beach Blvd., to Barnegat Light
- Notes: Winter brings migrating waterfowl, such as brant, mergansers, scoters, long-tailed ducks, loons and harlequin ducks, through the area. The best opportunities are from the top of the rock jetty. While late afternoon is usually considered an ideal time to photograph nature, it can work against you here, as the jetty casts a shadow onto the ducks which come in close to it. Itâ€™s often very cold and windy on the jetty, so be sure to bring gloves, a hat, and maybe even a balaclava.
The 0.2 mile Maritime Forest Trail includes holly, black cherry and cedar trees, and provides many photographic opportunities (especially after a rare snowfall). The trees can also be used to frame images of the lighthouse. In the spring, the beach plums bloom, and the dunes are blanketed with gorgeous yellow beach heather.
- Best Season: Winter
- Gear: Telephoto lens, tripod/monopod, cold weather clothing
This Photo Has Been Viewed 785 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!