- Title: Great Falls
- State/Province/Region: New Jersey
- Country: United States
- Nearest Town: Patterson
- Brief Directions: Takes the Garden State Parkway to I-80 West and exit at Paterson.
- Notes: The Great Falls are one of the highest waterfalls in the U.S. Though Paterson as a city is somewhat downtrodden, it is worth the visit.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: The Great Falls in Paterson, NJ were pivotal in powering industry after the Revolutionary War. Alexander Hamilton visited it in 1778 and helped found the city of Patterson around the falls as a "national manufactory." In 1793, the falls was the site of the first water-powered cotton spinning mill in New Jersey. In 1812, it was the site of the state's first continuous roll paper mill. Other products whose construction used the falls as a power source include the Rogers Locomotive Works (1832), the Colt revolver (1837), and the USS Holland (SS-1) (1898).
- Gear: Nikon D90 with 18-120mm VR lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 340 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!