- Title: Shiprock
- State/Province/Region: New Mexico
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: 4 Corners
- Nearest Town: Shiprock, New Mexico
- Brief Directions: Proceed south from the town of Shiprock on New Mexico Hwy 491 and "The Shiprock" is visible for many miles.
- Notes: 4wd or high clearance required to access roads to the site.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: Shiprock Peak is the "neck", or remains of a solidified lava core, of a dormant 40 million year old volcanic pinnacle. It is shaped somewhat like a 19th century Clipper Ship with high trap-dykes running north from Utah and south from the main spire and rising about 1,800 feet above the four-corners New Mexican plain. It's elevation is 7,178 feet above sea level
- Gear: Nikon D-700 Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8
This Photo Has Been Viewed 675 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!