Sunrise Reflections At Bodie Island Lighthouse
- Title: Sunrise Reflections At Bodie Island Lighthouse
- State/Province/Region: North Carolina
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Cape Hatteras National Seashore
- Nearest Town: Nags Head, North Carolina
- Brief Directions: Outerbanks Scenic Byway (the beach highway) NC-12
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: The Bodie Island Lighthouse serves as the unofficial northern welcome to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, seen by car just minutes after turning onto the Outer Banks Scenic Byway (NC-12) from either Nags Head or Roanoke Island. I always joke to friends that you're not truly at the Outer Banks until you've passed the Bodie Island Lighthouse and crossed the Oregon Inlet Bridge! Despite its somewhat healthy appearance from the exterior, apparently the structural and interior integrity, not to mention the deteriorating condition of its rare first-order fresnel lens, were in dire conditions. As early as the year 2000, Bodie Island Lighthouse was included on the "Doomsday List of Lights," a listing of endangered lighthouses published by Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The lighthouse, however, is currently undergoing a restoration and is actually still closed to the public for climbing until completion.
- Gear: Nikon D200, Nikkor 12-24mm
This Photo Has Been Viewed 349 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!