Smoothly, Into An Obx Dream
- Title: Smoothly, Into An Obx Dream
- State/Province/Region: North Carolina
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Cape Hatteras National Seashore
- Nearest Town: Frisco
- Brief Directions: Get yourself to Nags Head, North Carolina and then hook onto the Outerbanks Scenic Highway, known by locals as the beach road NC-12, and head south!
- Description: I've always had a soft spot for the wide-angle lens. It is without a doubt my go-to lens, even when I've had much more expensive and quality glass in the bag beside it. The wide-angle certainly has its weaknesses that must be worked around--it is not an "all-the-time" piece of gear. However, the wide-angle is a lens that can, unlike any other I've ever owned, tell a more complete story. What it captures in its field of view is always more about context than about pure subject--it often, as may be the case above, shifts the subject to the environment, the conditions, the interaction of elements. The subject becomes the very photograph itself, from border to border. The pier may be the anchoring element in this photograph, but it surely is not the most powerful. That would have to be the ocean surf retreating from the shore, or perhaps the parted sky following a coastal rain storm, or maybe, it's some combination of all three that can't be separated...a story that can only be told when all of the individual elements are in combination with the others.
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 16-35mm
This Photo Has Been Viewed 515 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!