Autumn At Cedar Falls
- Title: Autumn At Cedar Falls
- State/Province/Region: Ohio
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Hocking Hills State Park
- Nearest Town: Logan
- Brief Directions: Take State Route 33 south from Columbus, Ohio to Logan, and then 664 into Hocking Hills State Park.
- Notes: April through May and October through November are my favorite times to visit Hocking Hills. I consider this area to be the most scenic to be found in Ohio. My first trip was in 1980 and I return at least three times each year. The Hemlock-filled gorges, waterfalls and mist-filled hollows have a mystical quality about them, attracting artists from all over Ohio and beyond. In winter the sandstone gorges and waterfalls fill with amazing ice formations.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Cedar Falls in Hocking Hills State Park, Ohio - which is on the edge of the Appalachian Foothills in Southeastern Ohio - is one of the best known waterfalls. This area of Ohio is almost mystical in its' appeal with Hemlock-filled gorges, waterfalls and mist covered hollows. One of the few areas in Ohio where Hemlocks flourish (deposited by the last ice age) due to the protective nature of the gorges. Autumn is perhaps my favorite season, with spring a close second. The subdued light of a light rainfall is perfect for photographing landscapes in Hocking Hills. The trails are all well-marked and cared-for and the area has many lodging options, with my favorite being the Inn at Cedar Falls. There is a oneness with nature here unlike most of what is found in Ohio.
- Gear: Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 28-70 f2.8 L, circular polarizer, HDR image in Photomatix, Kirk bracket and ballhead, Bogen tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 1674 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!