Portal To The Underworld
- Title: Portal To The Underworld
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Town: Yachats
- Brief Directions: Thor's Well at sunset
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: This is called Thor's Well on the Oregon coast just south of a quaint little town called Yachats. Timing is everything here as is studying the tides before venturing out to the hole. You're standing on lava that is very sharp so maintaining a grip with good shoes isn't tough but you have to stay very alert as in the Pacific Northwest they have something they call "sneaker waves" these are larger than normal waves that come in unannounced I've see water come up the hole and spout 30ft so its a risky shot but with attentiveness to your surroundings it can be done safely.
- Gear: Nikon D700, 14-24mm f2.8, Gitzo tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 177 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!