The Painted Hills
- Title: The Painted Hills
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: John Day National Monument
- Nearest Town: Mitchell
- Brief Directions: About 15 miles east of Mitchell, Oregon.
- Notes: Best time to shoot these hills is early morning and late evening to bring out the best in the colors of these hills. Look for abstract close-ups of these hills, as well as grand vistas.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: During spring, you can catch the wildflowers that abound in the Painted Hills, part of the John Day National Monument in eastern Oregon. The hills were formed over the past 250 million years by repeated volcanic explosions depositing ash in this area as well as climatic changes that helped create the bands of color.
- Gear: Canon 5D Mark II/ Really Right Stuff Tripod & Ballhead
This Photo Has Been Viewed 104 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!