Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument - South Side
- Title: Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument - South Side
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Washington State Road 503
- Nearest Town: Cougar
- Brief Directions: From I-5 take exit 21 (Woodland) and follow Road 503 East. After the town of Cougar, turn into Road 83 and follow the signs to Lahar and Lava Canyon.
- Notes: When the volcano erupted in May 18, 1980, large portions of the glaciers on the east side of the volcano melted and created a large lahar (volcanic mudflow). The debris went into Pine Creek and Muddy River. Lava Canyon was flooded with raging water, boulders, and trees. The mudflow permanently altered the landscape, revealing numerous ancient lava flows.
- Best Season: Summer
- Gear: A wide angle lens, a telephoto in the range of 70-200mm, and a s
This Photo Has Been Viewed 1093 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!