Ominous Clouds Over Columbia River At Columbia River Maratime Museum
- Title: Ominous Clouds Over Columbia River At Columbia River Maratime Museum
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Columbia River Maratime Museum
- Nearest Town: Astoria
- Brief Directions: Columbia River Maritime Museum
1792 Marine Drive
Astoria, Oregon, 97103
- Notes: Manual settings f/16, 1/250 sec., ISO 400, 35mm, Auto white balance.
Photo taken on 3/31/13 with Nikon D40 and Nikon DX 18 - 55mm AF lens.
Photo was converted to black and white in Photoshop CS5 with additional adjustments in Photoshop.
- GPS Longitude: -123.8234077
- GPS Latitude: 46.1899427
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: I took this photo at the Maritime Museum in Astoria, Oregon, where the Columbia River flows into the Pacific Ocean at the Columbia Bar. The Columbia Bar is one of the most dangerous in the world; there have been hundreds of shipwrecks in it over the years. In this photo I made the clouds dominate the scene to express a sense of impending danger and foreboding. The ships on the horizon and Columbia River, although huge themselves were kept smaller to give the sense of danger from the weather. The flying seagull to the right of the scene adds additional perspective. I was lucky the seagull flew by at that moment!
In this scene it is unknown whether the ships are merely waiting for their next freight to be loaded, or whether they are waiting for the danger of a storm to subside.
- Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon DX 18-55 AF Lens, Tiffen circular polarizer
This Photo Has Been Viewed 673 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!