Star Gazer's Paradise
- Title: Star Gazer's Paradise
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Dechutes National Forest
- Nearest Town: Bend Oregon
- Notes: Even at night you can enjoy an incredible view of Central Oregon from the lava Butte!
The Butte is located in the Dechutes National Forest and is inside the Lava Lands Museum.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: My girlfriend and I set out on what was supposed to be a quick photoshoot. We pulled up to the Lava Flows in the Deshutes National Forest at 11:45PM. As we got there, we realized that the park was closed and fenced off to the public. (*Laughing*)
We found a place to park the car and long story short did a few things that got us past the fences and into the lava flows. But it didn't stop there.....
We walked onto the flows and just as I began to remove my camera from it's case, she stopped me and said "But why aren't we going up there?" She pointed up at the firewatch mountain. 45 minutes later and out of breath we made it to the top and found this tower that overlooked ALL of central Oregon.
We stayed up there for a few hours stargazing and hiking around the top. Even though we returned home much later than my parents would have hoped with our shoes full of lava rocks, we had an unforgettable night. Funny how great a night can get when you're spontaneous.
- Gear: Canon 6D
This Photo Has Been Viewed 79 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!