Oneate Gorge - Columbia River National Scenic Area, Oregon
- Title: Oneate Gorge - Columbia River National Scenic Area, Oregon
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: I-84
- Nearest Town: Portland
- Brief Directions: From Portland, take I-84 to the Troutdale exit. Then follow the Historic Columbia River Highway to the Oneata Gorge. Give yourself lots of time as there are many waterfalls along the way.
- Notes: It's only a short hike - upstream. Being in a narrow, moss covered gorge, you'll be walking IN the stream, so having a pair of shorts, sandals, and a towel will be nice when you're done. Most of the way is ankle deep, but there is one hole near the end that requires you to hold your camera bag above your head. If you make the effort and take the risk, you'll be rewarded with a waterfall few get to see. (Editor -My transparecies look better than the scans.) Overcast conditions are best as there is a lot of contrast between the rock walls and the water. Meter off the moss to give a perfect exposure. This is one place where you dont even leave footsteps!
- Best Season: Spring
- Gear: Sandals and towel for walking upstream
This Photo Has Been Viewed 1036 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!