Painted Hills In Winter
- Title: Painted Hills In Winter
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Central Oregon
- Nearest Town: Mitchell
- Brief Directions: From Portland, Oregon - go east on Hwy 26 to Hwy 97. South on Hwy 97 to Madras, Oregon. Regain Hwy 26 just south of Madras - go through town of Prineville staying on Hwy 26. Go over Ochoco Pass and down toward the town of Mitchell. Watch for a green highway sign that says "Painted Hills Unit - John Day Fossil Beds National Monument". Follow a narrow 2 lane road to the Painted Hills.
- Notes: This area is wonderful to shoot any time of the year, but especially in spring with wildflowers blooming or after a snowfall in late fall or early winter. Afternoon light is best for shooting. Great area for wildlife watching, too.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: Light snowfall on the colorful contours of the Painted Hills in John Day Fossil Beds National Monument near Mitchell, Oregon.
- Gear: Nikon D200, Nikon 70-300mm lens, Bogen tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 896 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!