Columbia River Gorge
Bob Simari / Baldwin, New York
- Title: Columbia River Gorge
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: I-84 / Historic Columbia River Highway
- Nearest Town: Portland / Troutdale
- Brief Directions: Interstate 84 from Portland brings you into the lovely town of Troutdale at which point you will pick up the Historic Columbia River Highway. This spectacular road brings you within walking distance of eight lush waterfalls.
- Notes: Plan this trip for late October and the lush foliage in this rain forest will display brilliant yellows and emerald greens. Seventy one waterfalls exist in the Columbia Gorge, but seven of the most accessable can be easily walked to from parking areas along the Historic Columbia River Highway. Be prepared to protect yourself and your camera gear from the seemingly ever-present rainfall in this area. The vegetation is brightly colored and lush and the waterfalls everflowing. A tripod is essential due to the fact that you're shooting in deeply shaded conditions most of the time. I prefer wide angle lenses here to capture the surroundings, but telephotos work well too. All of my photos here were taken while I held an umbrella over myself and my gear.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Gear: Rain gear, tripod essential, wide and telephoto lenses
This Photo Has Been Viewed 863 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!