Mt. Jefferson Wilderness
- Title: Mt. Jefferson Wilderness
- State/Province/Region: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Mt jefferson Wilderness Area
- Nearest Town: Idanha
- Brief Directions: From Salem Oregon, drive east for 60 miles on Highway 22. Turn left on Whitewater Road 2243. Drive 7.5 miles on this gravel road to the trailhead.
- Notes: This was quite simply the most amazing wildflower meadow I've ever seen in my home state of Oregon. Three days before capturing the image you see here, I had been scouting the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness area with a friend. Although the scene was stunning, I knew the wildflowers would improve in a few days. I returned with a light and fast approach(if you can call it that with a 4x5 camera and multiple lenses on your back!). Because this meadow is about 9 miles from the nearest trailheadI knew I would be returning in the dark. When I arrived at the meadow, I was thrilled to find that phenomenal array of wildflowers had indeed improved. As I began composing the scene, I noticed a cloud growing over Mt. Jefferson's summit. It eventually grew into the wonderful, lenticular cloud you see in this image. Pure luck! My 4x5 camera definitely served me well in this instance as its perspective control gave me wonderful detail throughout the scene. As I hiked out in the cold, black, night,I was warmed by the memory of the most beautiful wildflower meadow I'd ever seen!
- Description: Oregon's Mt. Jefferson Wilderness area is a stunning destination for climbers, Backpackers, and Pacific Crest Trail thru hikers. Located in a relatively remote area of the Oregon Cascade range, Mt Jefferson receives enormous winters snow falls, leading to a late blooming season for its stunning wildflower meadows.
- Gear: Wista 4x5 camera, Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripod, 90 mm lens
This Photo Has Been Viewed 219 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!