Ricketts Glen Waterfall Scenic Landscape
- Title: Ricketts Glen Waterfall Scenic Landscape
- State/Province/Region: Pennsylvania
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Allegheny Mountains
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: Ricketts Glen State Park is located in Central Pennsylvania. Comprised of some 13,000 acres, the park lies within Luzerne, Sullivan and Columbia counties. The park derives its name from Civil War Colonel Ricketts who owned some 80,000 acres in this area before pieces were sold to the state of Pennsylvania for creation of this park. Ricketts Glen was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1969 and a State Park Natural Area in 1993. Two branches of Kitchen Creek split into a "Y" shape, spilling down the Allegheny Front along Ganoga Glen, Glen Leigh, and Ricketts Glen. The full waterfall loop is 7.2 miles and includes twenty-four named waterfalls. The heavy use of the word "glen" piqued my personal interest: a glen is apparently a Scottish term that describes a long, deep valley that typically features a watercourse.
- Gear: Nikon D700, Nikkor 17-35mm
This Photo Has Been Viewed 166 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!