- Title: Just Be
- State/Province/Region: South Carolina
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Savannah, Georgia
- Nearest Town: Hilton Head Island
- Brief Directions: About 45 minute drive north of Savannah. I-95 to Highway 278, east.
- Notes: I recently relocated to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina from Dayton, Ohio. I had been visiting Hilton Head since 1980. I've also lived previously in North Charleston. The Low Country of South Carolina has always been a part of my life, primarily because of the natural beauty and unique character of the area. Hilton Head is widely known as a "golf/resort destination." It's labeled as a high $$ tourist area. This is unfortunate because what truly makes this area special is the natural, scenic beauty of the coast, marshlands and maritime forests. It's a nature photographer's dream come true, particularly in light of the fact that there is an incredible variety of wildlife. The coastal islands offer some of the best wildlife refuge areas to be found in the United States.
The skyscapes at sunrise and sunset are absolutely incredible, particularly in autumn and spring. The beach along Hilton Head actually faces southeast, providing some impressive, angled light during both morning and evening from autumn through spring.
What surprises me most is how this area is relatively overlooked by professional nature and landscape photographers. Not anymore.
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: April sunrise over the beach on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina by Nature Photographer Jim Crotty
- Gear: Canon 1D Mark III and Canon 28-70mm f2.8 L lens; Kirk head and Bogen tripod
This Photo Has Been Viewed 373 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!