House On Fire Ruins - Mule Canyon
- Title: House On Fire Ruins - Mule Canyon
- State/Province/Region: Utah
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Cedar Mesa
- Nearest Town: Blanding
- Brief Directions: I drove from Blanding south on Hwy 191 for a few miles to the Hwy 95 junction. Went 19.3 miles on Hwy 95 (west) from Hwy 191 and San Juan County Road 263 is within sight of MP 102 marker. A very short drive on the dirt road presents a self-pay station that requires $2 put into an envelope. A short drive past a large sign warning of no off road driving had an area for parking. The road (CR263) drops down into Mule Canyon and up the other side as it continues north. There is no parking area at the bottom of canyon. The GPS coordinates are for the parking location.
- Notes: Easy hike, ruins size is small but rock texture above ruins is phenomenal.
- GPS Longitude: 109
- GPS Latitude: 37
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: I made this hike in late February and found a good amount of snow in the canyon. I delayed the hike one day to avoid high winds (45MPH gust). Just walk down CR263 to the bottom of Mule Canyon. Looking west you can see the trailhead sign a few hundred feet away. The road is graded above the bottom of the canyon and it was snow covered and slippery walking the short steep slope into the bottom of the canyon. The trail is well worn and easy to follow as it crosses the wash several times on the way to the ruins. Mid-morning is the best shooting time and plan on only a one hour hike to the House on Fire ruins. Since the canyon runs mostly east-west you will be in the sun most of the time. In the winter the sun will be in the southern sky which means arriving too late in the day the ruins will be in the sun partially making for poor photographing conditions. Although there are some high alcoves along the way, the House on Fire ruins is only twenty feet above the trail.
- Gear: DSLR, Tripod, hiking boots
This Photo Has Been Viewed 583 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!