- Title: Petrified Dunes
- State/Province/Region: Utah
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Washington County
- Nearest Town: St. George, Utah
- Brief Directions: From Los Angeles I-15 north to St. George. Bluff St. off-ramp (south end of town). Turn left. There's a north and south entrance to the park. The north has less traffic congestion and has a nice view as one descends into the canyon.
- Notes: Snow Canyon is a very easy, uncrowded park to work photographically. One can photograph in the morning, return to St. George for lunch and return later in the evening.
- GPS Longitude: 113.6477378
- GPS Latitude: 37.2535908
- Best Season: Autumn
- Description: Snow Canyon State Park is a short drive from St. George, Utah. I've always preferred the Petrified Dune area towards the north end of the park. I arrive before sunup, climb to the top of the dunes, and get set up for sunrise. The dune area provides unlimited foreground designs and patterns for deep scenic compositions. A good rain will fill the dune's potholes as shown in this photograph. Summer can be extremely hot. My photo time in the summer is done by 8:30AM. All other seasons are excellent.
- Gear: Fuji S2 Pro/Nikon 12-24 @ 12mm/Gitzo tripod, Arca-Swiss ballhead
This Photo Has Been Viewed 376 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!