Angel's Landing / Zion National Park
Bob Simari / Baldwin, New York
- Title: Angel's Landing / Zion National Park
- State/Province/Region: Utah
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: SR 9 / Zion Canyon Scenic Drive
- Nearest Town: Springdale
- Brief Directions: The Angel's Landing trailhead can be accessed from the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive. Park in the Grotto parking area and take the footbridge to the West Rim Trail. Follow trail signs from that point on.
- Notes: This hike is best planned for the cooler seasons or on an overcast day and attempted by physically fit people who do not fear heights and steep dropoffs. A five mile roundtrip hike with a continual increase in altitude requiring a minimum of 4-5 hours. After Scout's Lookout, the paved trail disappears and the going gets "interesting". You'll follow a steep, narrow ridge with serious dropoffs and a permanently installed chain to hold on to. If you make it to the top, the rewards are great and the vistas breathtaking. For this hike, forget the tripod and bring the vr lenses instead because you'll want to travel light and you'll need room in your pack for plenty of water and some snacks. A cloudy day is best for photography here because the sun will fight your best efforts in morning and late afternoon. I got lucky on this cloudy day because the clouds broke late in the afternoon and provided some short lived dramatic light. The hike down is a relief, but tough on the knees. An exhausting but very rewarding hike.
- Best Season: Autumn
- Gear: Good hiking boots; determination and stamina.
This Photo Has Been Viewed 364 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!