- Title: Beauty Divide
- State/Province/Region: Utah
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Zion National Park
- Nearest Town: Springdale
- Brief Directions: The trail to the Subway is a difficult one involving trail finding, bouldering and depending on the season, a bit of wading through icy water. You'll begin at the Subway trailend, located 8 miles north of Virgin on the Kolob Terrace Road. dirt path and hike a half mile through a juniper and pinon forest before descending almost another half mile down the steep trail to arrive at the Left Fork of North Creek. Follow the trail upstream as it skirts and crosses the creek numerous times. After about a mile of hiking along the creek watch for the dinosaur tracks. After 3 miles of creek hiking there will be wonderful wide slabs of stair stepped sandstone covered with glistening cascades of water. Be very careful traveling on these slabs as they are very often slippery. After several scrambles through and around these pristine cascades, the trail arrives at the Subway. It's about a 6.5 mile hike from parking lot to the Subway.
- Notes: This is one of the impressive areas in the world, the entire Virgin River condenses down to flow through a crack that is no more that 6 to 8 inches wide. The red slick rock is saturated with color by the ever flowing water that polishes it and fall leaves dot the area with yellows and oranges.
- Gear: Mamiya M645, Mamiya 80mm lens, Fuji Velvia 50 Film, Polarizing Filter, Bogen Tripod and Head
This Photo Has Been Viewed 3666 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!