The King And The Heavens
- Title: The King And The Heavens
- State/Province/Region: Washington
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Crystal Mountain Ski Resort
- Nearest Town: Greenwater
- Description: On a new moon Saturday in July, I was in pursuit of shooting the Milky Way, so I convinced 2 friends to head to Crystal Mountain Ski Resort with me. When we arrived and set up camp at Campbell Basin, the sky was clouded. One friend and I decided to hike to the top of the ridge around sunset to see if we could get some shots of Mt Rainier in the drifting clouds while the other friend relaxed at camp and hung out with a cow elk and 2 calves. By the time we returned from the ridge, fog had rolled in and I was thinking we would not see the stars that night. Boy was I wrong! Around 10:30pm, the fog started clearing and stars started appearing. This photo was taken at 12:30am, but we continued shooting until about 1am.
The peak directly under the Milky Way is named Silver King and is 7,012 ft above sea level. For us Crystal Mountain skiers, it is simply known as “The King.” This adventure certainly reminded me that on any given day or night, you never know what you are going to get; you just gotta be ready! I am so thankful the fog lifted and we were given an opportunity to experience this amazing moment amongst the King and the Heavens!
- Gear: Nikon D600, 24-70mm
This Photo Has Been Viewed 186 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!