Ruby Beach / Olympic National Park
Bob Simari/baldwin, Ny
- Title: Ruby Beach / Olympic National Park
- State/Province/Region: Washington
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Coastal Highway 101
- Nearest Town: Forks
- Brief Directions: Ruby beach sits off Coastal Hwy 101 in Olympic National Park at the spot where the road, heading southbound, hits the Pacific Ocean.
- Notes: Travel to Olympic National Park in October brings spectacular color, far smaller crowds and the liklihood of stormy skies-which for this photographer is a big plus. In the case of this particular image, I arrived late in the afternoon in mid October at Ruby Beach, not expecting much photographically speaking. The sky was thick with interesting but colorless storm clouds and the beach was filled with people enjoying themselves (and messing up my compositions) - but I noticed a slight break in the clouds developing just above the horizon and so I decided to hang around for the sunset-a good choice as things turned out. Just before setting, the sun broke thru the small window which had opened and bathed the beach in gorgeous light for a few precious minutes. I was the only one left on the beach, save a few gulls, to witness and capture this event which provided me with chills up and down my spine...and an image which is one of my all-time favorites.
Nikon F100/17-35 f2.8 shot at 17mm with 2 stop grad nd filter/tripod (of course); Fuji Velvia 50/scanned on Minolta Dimage Elite 5400 slide scanner/tweaked in Photoshop CS2.
- Best Season: Autumn
This Photo Has Been Viewed 2101 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!