Glacier Peak Wilderness Area, North Cascades
- Title: Glacier Peak Wilderness Area, North Cascades
- State/Province/Region: Washington
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: WA State Route 20
- Nearest Town: Marbelmount, WA
- Brief Directions: The Ptarmigan Traverse is an off-trail multiday trip from Cascade Pass, near Marbelmount, to Cub lake and Glacier Peak to the south. White Rock Lakes (6194') are near the southern end of the traverse.
- Notes: The Ptarmigan Traverse, one of the most scenic and remote backpacks in the North Cascades, is a landscape photographers dream. My favorite location on the off-trail traverse is White Rock Lakes. From the lakes, one looks across the next valley to cross to the magnificent Dana Glacier, Dome Peak, and Spire Point. The deer in this photo was standing at the south end of the lakes in late afternoon, with the Dana Glacier and Spire point in the background. He was gone just seconds after I arrived and got this photo!
- Best Season: Summer
- Gear: Full mountaineering and glacier travel equipment
This Photo Has Been Viewed 708 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!