- Title: Sunset Portal
- State/Province/Region: Washington
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Clayton Beach
- Nearest Town: Bellingham
- Brief Directions: From Bellingham's Fairhaven district head south onto Chukanut Drive towards Larrabee State Park. The entrance for the park will be on your right, but I would continue on a bit further to one of many pull outs on the right. The main entrance of Larrabee has a gate which closes at dusk and we photographers are often just getting some good light about then! Any of the pull offs will have trails nearby that wind down through the forest, across a set of train tracks and deposit you water side. Some places it is rather difficult to get to the water, and some places it is a very easy walk. My advice is to go early and explore there are so many different places to shoot from and most all of them good.
- Best Season: Winter
- Description: Clayton Beach is part of Larrabee State Park near Bellingham Washington and it is one of my favorite locations to photograph sunsets. The stretch of coast that runs a long the scenic Chukanut Drive in Whatcom county is full of photographic possibilities. There are many trails winding down from pull outs all a long Chukanut Drive that will put you on the water of the Puget Sound. The sandstone rock formations provide excellent foreground interest and across the water the Islands of San Juan county add nice silouhuettes on the horizon. I have seen so many good sunsets a long this stretch of coast and I am always finding new compositions.
- Gear: Nikon D300, 70-300mm lens, Nikon circular polarizer
This Photo Has Been Viewed 809 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!