Clay Butte Flag
- Title: Clay Butte Flag
- State/Province/Region: Wyoming
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Yellowstone Nat'l Park
- Nearest Town: Cody, Wyoming
- Brief Directions: Take WY-120 north from Cody 16-miles to the junction with WY-296, the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. Follow WY-296 48-miles to the junction with US-212. Turn right and follow US-212 about 35-miles to Red Lodge, Montana. Clay Butte is about 10-miles from the WY-296/US-212 junction.
- Notes: The highway climbs to 11,000-feet altitude, with many hairpin turns and breath-taking vistas at every point along the way. Take plenty of warm clothing and rain gear, as the weather can change very quickly.
- Best Season: Summer
- Description: The Stars and Stripes, back-lit by the late afternoon sun, paints the breeze from the top of the rustic flagpole at the Clay Butte Fire Lookout Tower on the Shoshone National Forest. Clay Butte is accessed by a well maintained forest service road off of US Hgwy 212, the Beartooth Highway, named for the mountain range it crosses.
- Gear: A good vehicle, tripod, multiple memory cards, layered clothing and good boots.
This Photo Has Been Viewed 396 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!