Morning Storm Over Grand Teton
- Title: Morning Storm Over Grand Teton
- State/Province/Region: Wyoming
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Jackson Hole
- Nearest Town: Moose
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: I was in the area to lead my “Grand Teton in Spring” photography workshop and spent the days leading up to the class location scouting both some of my favorite spots and a few that were new to me.
As I drove the interior park road the beautiful wooden fence that runs for miles along it just seemed to scream out to be photographed, so that’s what I decided to do. Now I know the fence has been photographed before and that’s ok with me, for this particular image I wasn’t trying to re-invent the wheel.
I noticed that in a few areas the fence follows small hills and creates short dips that make very interesting leading lines within a potential image and I started looking for the perfect one. After a bit of looking I found the area in the fence that gave me a nice curve without being too steep and decided to return a bit later when the conditions were better.
I finally had my opportunity the morning after the workshop concluded; I woke up at 3:30am and headed out to greet the sunrise. Because of the scouting I did a few days earlier it didn’t take me long to find the composition I wanted quickly started my wait for the sun to rise. The morning was beautiful, the dramatic clouds really made for a wonderful sky however the skies to the east were covered in much thicker cloud cover which didn’t allow for much color to show in the sky above the peaks, a perfect opportunity for black and white!
- Gear: Nikon D7000, Nikon 18-200 VRII lens, Polarizer, Cokin 2-Stop Grad ND, Manfrotto Tripod and Head
This Photo Has Been Viewed 181 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!