Stray Clouds Over Grand Teton
- Title: Stray Clouds Over Grand Teton
- State/Province/Region: Wyoming
- Country: United States
- Nearest Area: Grand Teton National Park
- Nearest Town: Jackson
- Brief Directions: Schwabacher Landing is located in the southern portion of Grand Teton National Park. Jackson is the nearest town and the most likely place to stay in the area. Drive north from Jackson on the Jackson Hole Highway until you come to the gravel road to Schwabacher Landing on the left, take it all the way to the parking lot at the end. Follow the trail that parallels the Snake River sidewater until you reach the reflecting pool and beaver dam.
- Notes: Making a trip to Grand Teton National park was on my "To Do" list for a long time. The park is such a beautiful place with awe inspiring mountian peaks, amazing wild life, powerful thunderstorms, the wondrous Snake River and so much more that even after being there it's still on my list, I have to go back.
Making a trip to Grand Teton National park was on my "To Do" list for a long time. The park is such a beautiful place with awe inspiring mountain peaks, amazing wild life, powerful thunderstorms, the wondrous Snake River and so much more that even after being there it's still on my list, I have to go back.
Schwabacher's Landing isn't exactly a hidden location as it's one of the more photographed places in the park but on this particular morning I had the place all to myself, just me, my brother-in-law and two other couples that were just there to watch the sunrise...Lucky Me!
I walked up and down the beaver pond a couple of times before settling on this spot and began the wait for the sun to rise and for the light to hit the Tetons. The wind was very calm so the reflection in the lake was perfect and a pair of small clouds slowing moved through the frame, catching some of the sunrise's color. I think the clouds are very Bob Ross like, "Maybe the trees have a little cloud friend coming by for a visit".
As a side note there is a small meadow leading from the parking area to the forested area that Schwabacher's landing resides in. It was very early and still somewhat dark as my brother-in-law and I were walking along the trail chatting about something not really paying too much attention when we looked up to see a Bison having breakfast only a few feet away from us. He raised his head, looked at us and exhaled an intimating frozen breath. What a moment.
- GPS Longitude: 43.71401
- GPS Latitude: -110.67213
- Best Season: Spring
- Description: Schwabacher landing is a beautiful beaver pond that reflects the Cathedral group of mountain peak in Grand Teton National Park.
- Gear: Mamiya M645, Mamiya 55mm Lens, Fuji Velvia 50 film, Polarizing Filter, Cokin 2-Stop Grad ND filter, Bogen tripod and head
This Photo Has Been Viewed 2260 times
to view our Interactive Gallery Terms & Conditions.
Get 11 Issues of Outdoor Photographer for only $14.97!
That's 77% off the cover price!