Tamron has announced the development of an all-in-one lens providing a 16mm wide angle to 300mm telephoto range. Using UXR glass and new manufacturing technology, the 18.8X zoom range is presented in a lightweight body. For Macro enthusiasts, the lens has a 15.3-inch minimum focus distance and maximum magnification ration of 1:2.7.
Check out the details below:
Tamron announces the development of a cutting-edge high-power zoom lens with an expanded focal length range providing the world’s first zoom ratio of approximately 18.8X
16-300MM F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO (Model B016)
A high-performance, high-power zoom lens that delivers focal lengths extending from an unprecedented 16mm at the wide-angle end up to a long-range telephoto 300mm!
Incorporates PZD (Piezo Drive) and Tamron’s exclusive VC (Vibration Compensation)system to further enhance the real-world performance of this next-generation “all-around lens”, which makes taking photographs more convenient and enjoyable.
February 6, 2014, Saitama, Japan. – Tamron Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Morio Ono), a leading manufacturer of precision optics, has announced the development of an advanced new All-In-One™ zoom lens, designed exclusively for DSLRs with APS-C size image sensors, that provides an amazing 18.8X zoom ratio. The lens sample will be on display at the Tamron booth at the CP+ 2014, which will be held from February 13 to 16 in Yokohama, Japan.
Since the launch in 1992 of the 28-200mm (Model 71D) high-power zoom lens – which featured a revolutionary compact, lightweight design – Tamron has been continually expanding its portfolio of world-class optics to benefit consumers.
Tamron previously launched an 18-270mm (Model B008) All-In-One™ zoom lens exclusively for digital SLR cameras with APS-C size image sensors that features a 15X zoom ratio, superior image quality, swift, quiet AF, and Tamron’s acclaimed VC (Vibration Compensation) mechanism, in an ultra-compact package. This ground-breaking lens has won major plaudits throughout the world.
Responding to consumers’ demand for expanded focal lengths both at the wide-angle end of the zoom range and the telephoto end, Tamron has begun development of a completely new All-In-One™ zoom lens design that provides an impressive focal length range extending from 16mm true wide-angle to 300mm super-telephoto.
- A further expansion of the imaging range with a minimum focal length of 16mm (35mm film equivalent: 24.8mm) at the wide-angle end of the zoom range, and a maximum focal length of 300mm (35mm film equivalent: 465mm), this remarkable new lens provides the world’s first zoom ratio of approximately 18.8X. Responding to requests from consumers who wanted to be able to photograph subjects with a wider viewing angle than is possible with conventional high-power zoom lenses, Tamron has begun developing a unique lens with a minimum focal length of 16mm. At the telephoto end, the maximum focal length has been increased to an impressive 300mm. Users of this new lens can enjoy unprecedented framing flexibility by easily adjusting the angle of view using the convenient zoom ring.
- Superior, reliable image quality. The lens construction features 16 elements in 12 groups. This includes three Molded-Glass Aspherical elements, one Hybrid Aspherical element, two LD (Low Dispersion) elements, one XR (Extra Refractive index) glass element, and one element of UXR (Ultra-Extra Refractive Index) glass, which has a greater refractive index than XR. The full use of specialized glass elements in the design contributes to thorough compensation of optical aberrations. In addition, the use of the latest coating technology for suppressing reflections on lens element surfaces minimizes unwanted flare and ghosting and assures sharp, crisp, high-contrast images.
- Using a new design approach to create an ultra-compact lens. The latest optical technology has been used to provide an expanded zoom range (compared to the B008) at both the wide-angle and telephoto ends, without necessitating the use of an oversized lens body. By employing UXR glass (which helps to reduce the size of the front lens diameter), an optimized layout of the Molded-Glass Aspherical elements, and adopting a 5-lens-group zoom system approach to provide enhanced design flexibility, the new lens embodies the fusion of state-of-the-art optical design, sophisticated mechanical design, and high-precision lens manufacturing technology, thereby attaining a compact size, an unprecedented zoom range, and superior image quality.
- A minimum focusing distance of just 15.3 inches supports an extensive range of macro photography capabilities. The new lens provides a minimum focus distance of 15.3 inches over the entire zoom range, with a maximum magnification ratio of 1:2.9. This makes it possible to get right up close to the subject of the photo to enjoy easy, stress-free macro photography.
- PZD (Piezo Drive) delivers faster, quieter autofocus action. The PZD (Piezo Drive) advanced standing-wave ultrasonic motor system delivers faster, quieter, more precise AF action when the autofocus is engaged. There is enhanced support for contrast-detection AF capabilities, and focusing when in live-view mode has been made smoother. The new lens also features full-time manual focus, a function that was not provided on the B008, making manual focusing more convenient.
- Sharper images with VC (Vibration Compensation). Tamron’s acclaimed VC mechanism is incorporated into the new lens. VC reduces image blur caused by camera shake to deliver significantly sharper images even when shooting handheld at long telephoto settings.
- Moisture-resistant construction for worry-free outdoor shooting.
- Upgraded cosmetic design. Tamron has upgraded the cosmetic design and finish of this lens to create a more sophisticated, high-end look in keeping with the demands of discerning DSLR users. Employing a sophisticated linear pattern rubber grip on the zoom and focus rings, and an elegant tungsten-silver name-brand ring, etc., this newly designed model accentuates its visceral presence with understated elegance and class.