September 1, 2008, Commack, NY— Tamron Co., Ltd (Mr. Morio Ono, President) announced the SP AF10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) featuring an unprecedented 2.4X zoom ratio in its class of ultra wide-angle zoom lenses. The innovative, high-performance ultra wide-angle zoom lens (model B001) is designed exclusively for Canon and Nikon digital SLRs with APS-C sized image sensors. Pentax and Sony mount models will be announced at a later date.
The SP AF10-24mm Di II, the first-ever 2.4x ultra wide-angle lens for digital SLR cameras, features a focal length range with the 35mm equivalent of 16mm ultra wide-angle to 37mm semi-wide-angle in a user-friendly lightweight, compact design. With this versatile ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, photographers can capture magnificent vistas and extraordinary close-ups, bold compositions and unique perspectives, creating imagery impossible with standard wide-angle lenses.
The advanced optical system of this ultra wide angle lens features large-aperture, glass-molded aspherical elements, hybrid aspherical elements, as well as elements made of special low-dispersion glass, all of which combine to deliver high-quality imagery and performance.
1. Covers the Broadest Range Ever—from 10mm Ultra Wide-angle to 24mm—in It’s Class.
The new Tamron ultra wide-angle zoom lens covers the 35mm full-size format equivalent of 16-37mm, for the first time in this class of zoom lenses. This focal length range—10mm ultra wide-angle to 24mm semi wide-angle—enables the user to enjoy hassle-free wide-angle photography.
2. Features an Optical Design Optimized for Digital Camera Characteristics
• Special Optical Glass Materials for High Optical Performance
The new zoom lens uses a high-precision, large-aperture glass-molded aspherical lens element and three hybrid aspherical elements to minimize spherical aberration, coma, and distortion. In addition, a pair of LD (Low Dispersion) glass elements compensates for on-axis and lateral chromatic aberrations, delivering high optical quality.
• Optical System Designed to Optimize Angles of Incidence of Light Rays Reaching the Imager
The new ultra wide-angle zoom lens uses a new optical system designed to confine the changing angles of incidences of light rays reaching the imager within a certain scope over the entire image field, from the center to the periphery, addressing the effects of variances caused by zooming.
• Enhanced Peripheral Illumination
Peripheral light fall-off that becomes an image-degrading factor in wide-angle photography is minimized to ensure high optical quality from the center to the periphery.
• Outstanding Resolution
As an SP Di II class lens, it provides high optical quality in resolution, contrast, and flatness of image field.
• Internal Surface Coatings Reduce Ghosting and Flare
The lens uses newly developed multiple-layer coatings and internal surface coatings (i.e., multiple-layer coatings on cemented surfaces of plural lenses) to reduce the image degradation caused by the reflection of light rays entering from the lens front and affected by the imager.
3. Ultra-Compact, Lightweight Design
The new zoom lens covers a wider focal length range with a greater zoom ratio and offers a faster maximum aperture and enhanced optical quality than the existing SP AF11-18mm zoom lens (Model A13). Despite the higher specifications, the new zoom lens is lightweight and compact and accepts a 77mm filter, the same as the existing SP AF11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II zoom lens (Model A13).
4. Minimum Focus Distance of 0.24m (9.4”) Across Zoom Range
Because a close-focusing capability is essential in wide-angle photography, Tamron engineered a 0.24m (9.4”) minimum focus distance across the zoom range. This capability gives the user freedom to create images with an exaggerated perspective at the 10mm ultra wide-angle end and shoot with a maximum magnification ratio of 1:5 at the 24mm semi-wide-angle setting, the largest magnification ratio in its class.
5. Flower-shaped Lens Hood Is a Standard Accessory
A glare-reducing, flower-shaped lens hood is included as a standard accessory. The special hood provides optimum shading of light rays that enter from the rectangular frame outside the image field.
6. New External Design Expressing “State-of-the-Art Ultra Wide-angle Zoom Lens” in the Digital Era
• The new zoom lens features a refined exterior design that eliminates unevenness in the lens body and enhances its uniformity and smoothness, matching the designs of current digital SLRs.
• The metallic finish of the gold band on Tamron lenses makes it stand out as a Di II lens, and the layout of alphanumeric markings, including the TAMRON logo in the center of the control ring, has been improved for greater visibility.
• Exquisite black mat finish is applied to the black paint over the lens barrel for improved quality appearance.
• The rubber patterns on the zoom and focus rings have been enhanced to compliment today’s digital camera design style and ensure better handling.