Expanding its lens lineup for mirrorless cameras, Tamron today announced the development of the 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) for Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras. When released, it will be the third lens in the Di III series for mirrorless, joining the 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 Di III (Model C001) for Micro Four Thirds system cameras, and the 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC (Model B011) available in Canon and Sony mounts.
At the wide end of its range, the 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD will be able to focus as close as 7.5 inches, extending to 15.3 inches at the telephoto end. The lens will feature a fast constant maximum aperture of ƒ/2.8 and a new “RXD” stepping motor AF which Tamron states will be “extremely quiet” and therefore well-suited for video work. It will also be compatible with Sony’s Direct Manual Focus capability, allowing seamless switching between auto and manual focus.
List price and availability date are to be announced. For additional info, see the press release below.
Tamron today also introduced a new telephoto zoom for full-frame DSLRs, the 70-210mm F/4 Di VC USD (Model A034).
Tamron announces the development of a high-speed standard zoom lens
for Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras
28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036)
February 22, 2018, Commack, New York – Tamron announces the development of a new high-speed standard zoom lens for Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras, the 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036). This signals Tamron’s plans to further expand and improve its lens lineup for full-frame mirrorless cameras, in addition to its lenses for DSLR and other mirrorless camera formats.
Model A036 delivers superb optical performance, including both outstanding image quality and beautiful background blur effects (bokeh). Photographers may enjoy dynamic wide-angle expressions like never before thanks to a minimum object distance of 7.5 in at the wideangle zoom setting. Usefulness and versatility are enhanced by its compact size and light weight, measuring only 4.6 in and weighing 19.4 oz. Model A036 incorporates an all-new high-speed and precise AF driving system. The RXD (Rapid eXtra-silent stepping Drive) stepping motor unit operates with remarkable quietness, making it perfect for video use. The lens also features Moisture-Resistant Construction that is helpful in outdoor photography, plus hydrophobic Fluorine Coating that is highly resistant to fingerprints and debris. In addition, A036 is compatible with the “Direct Manual Focus (DMF)” system feature of Sony cameras, enabling this new zoom to take full advantage of the advanced functions that ensure comfortable user experiences.
- Superb optical performance, including both outstanding image quality and beautiful background blur effects (bokeh), provided by fast F/2.8 aperture.
- Comfortably light weight (19.4 oz.) and compact (4.6 in).
- Close-focusing; Minimum Object Distance: 7.5 in at wide-angle setting and 15.3 in at the telephoto position.
- All-new “RXD” stepping motor AF unit is extremely quiet and therefore perfect for video capture.
- Exciting next-generation design keeping the brand consistency that is ergonomically superb.
- Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating for weather protection.
- Compatible with the “Direct Manual Focus (DMF)” feature that enables Sony cameras to instantly switch between autofocus and manual focus.
* Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.