SAN FRANCISCO – Jan. 6, 2009 – Macworld Expo Booth No. 211 – Broadening its storage solutions for Mac®, WD (NYSE: WDC), the world leader in external storage solutions, today introduced two new external hard drives — the My Passport™ for Mac portable drive and the My Book® Mac Edition external hard drive. Pre-formatted for Mac and offering a simple USB interface, these drives offer the ever-growing Mac community reliable, easy-to-use storage. WD’s latest Mac-ready drives work seamlessly with Apple® Time Machine™ or other popular Mac backup software to provide protection for consumers’ valuable digital photos and media.
My Passport for Mac portable storage devices feature a sleek design in a shock-resistant enclosure and are available in capacities of 320 GB and 500 GB. The new My Book Mac Edition drives are equipped with power-saving WD hard drives with GreenPower technology, USB 2.0 interface and 1 TB of capacity.
“WD listened to the Mac community who wanted the simplicity of a USB external drive that complements the design of their Mac computer. Now our users can choose from a full range of storage solutions that are ready to use with their Mac computers right out of the box,” said Jim Welsh, senior vice president and general manager of WD’s branded products and consumer electronics groups. “From the sleek design of the new My Passport for Mac, to the use of the eco-friendly hard drive technology on the My Book Mac Edition, WD continues to deliver what Mac users are looking for.”
My Passport for Mac portable drives feature:
– Compatibility with Apple Time Machine;
– A shock-resistant enclosure designed to guard valuable data from the bumps and jars of everyday life;
– USB-bus powered, which eliminates the need for an external power adapter;
– Mac-ready out of the box, formatted HFS+ Journaled;
– 3-year limited warranty; and,
– Sleek and stylish design that complements other Mac products.
The new My Book Mac Edition external hard drives feature:
– A sleek, elegant matte-black finish that complements other Mac products;
– Smart, eco-friendly design that utilizes WD hard drives with Green Power technology and energy efficient power saving feature that turns on and off with user’s computer;
– Designed without a fan to run quietly;
– Fully recyclable product packaging;
– Shock-resistant enclosure designed to provide maximum shock protection to guard valuable data;
– Mac-ready out of the box, the drive is formatted HFS+ Journaled;
– Easy, plug-and-play set up; and,
– 1‑year limited warranty.
Demonstrations of My Book Mac Edition drives may be viewed at Macworld Expo Booth No. 211 in San Francisco from Jan. 6-9, 2009.
Availability and Pricing
My Passport for Mac portable hard drives and My Book Mac Edition 1 TB external hard drive are available now at select retail stores, online retailers and in theUnited States directly from WD at www.shopwd.com. MSRP for My Passport for Mac with 320 GB is $129.99 USD and $179.99 for 500 GB. MSRP for My Book Mac Edition 1 TB hard drive is $179.99 USD.
WD, one of the storage industry’s pioneers and long-time leaders, provides products and services for people and organizations that collect, manage and use digital information. The company produces reliable, high-performance hard drives that keep users’ data accessible and secure from loss. WD applies its storage expertise to consumer products for external, portable and shared storage applications.
WD was founded in 1970. The company’s storage products are marketed to leading systems manufacturers, selected resellers and retailers under the Western Digital® and WD brand names. Visit the Investor section of the company’s Web site (www.westerndigital.com) to access a variety of financial and investor information.