Photography is art. . . it is expression, documentation, visualization and creativity. Legendary for its commitment to inspirational learning, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes (AHPS) has championed photographic instruction for more than thirty-five years. Our recipe for success combines the expertise of our photographer instructors, the commitment to service by our photo guides and our pledge to provide our customers with an outstanding educational experience.
Our dedicated professional staff of award-winning and well-published instructors bring complimentary skills in nature, wildlife, landscape, portrait, macro, and night photography. As masters of light, composition and technique, our team is committed to teach, mentor and support all of your photographic endeavors.
Our team is comprised of both generalists and specialists but more importantly, they are experts in the workshops and destinations that they teach. They are not only photography experts, they bring a wealth of knowledge in science, technology, business, culture, and of course, art that will enhance your learning experience. This includes knowledge in geology, astronomy, biology, meteorology, publishing, commercial, lifestyle, adventure sports, travel, and more. We believe our workshops are more than just photography, they are about giving you a totally enriching experience.
To ensure your safety, learning and enjoyment, our volunteer photo guides are your point of contact from beginning to end. They are there to help you prepare, handle logistics in the field and support your workshop experience. Many of our photo guides are exceptional photographers in their own right and are a great resource for your workshop.
Based in Arizona, many of the premiere Southwest landscape destinations such as the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Slot Canyons, Sedona, and Canyon de Chelly are right in our backyard or nearby in Utah and New Mexico. Our well-traveled photographers also have intimate knowledge of many other picture-perfect locations. Prefer mountains? We love the high country too, especially the Rockies, both Colorado and Canadian. Or maybe seascapes are on your bucket list? We will take you there too, from the west coast of California and Washington to the east coast of Maine. If big mammals excite you, our workshops to Alaska and Grand Teton National Park will give you your fill of abundant wildlife. These are just a few of the many great destinations we visit.
We believe photography workshops are about igniting your desire to achieve your potential through educational experiences in the classroom and in the field. We challenge, we instruct, we have fun. Whether working with models under studio lights, photographing animals in the wild or shooting majestic landscapes, we promise to hone your skills and make you a better photographer.
Here’s what our customers say about their AHPS experience:
- “AHPS workshops are excellent. They’re well organized; communication before, during and after is effective; and, most importantly, the instruction and support for learning are unparalleled. I learned a lot, had great fun, met interesting people with whom I’ll stay in touch and got some wonderful shots. I heartily recommend AHPS Workshops.” Elizabeth S.
- “Exceeded my expectations and was well organized from start to finish. Great time!” Mark W.
- “I love Arizona Highways PhotoScapes workshops! I have attended several of them and am never disappointed.” Susan P.
Our workshops are designed to:
- Minimize your trip planning and maximize your learning.
- We will secure lodging, permits and other amenities to streamline your experience.
- Maximize your experience
- With newly enhanced safety protocols we are here to ensure your safety.
- Be at the best locations during optimal light.
- Yes, that means early mornings and late evenings but the reward is definitely worth it.
- Improve your understanding of light, exposure and depth-of-field.
- Easy, practical tips that will demystify technical confusion
- Help you learn how to create stunning compositions.
- We will teach you the rules of photography, and how and when to break them.
- Reap the instructor’s knowledge of each location and/or photography subject.
- Be engaged, ask questions and take in the full experience
- Have fun, build friendships and take home beautiful images.
- That’s our commitment to you!
Whether you simply want to enjoy the hobby of photography or elevate your professional career, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes can take you there. To learn more about our service, team and list of educational workshops, visit our website at www.ahps.org. Your photography journey starts here! Have questions? Email us at [email protected] or contact us by phone at 602.712.2004.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes is officially known as Friends of Arizona Highways Magazine Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that supports Arizona Highways Magazine through photography education.