The original bridge (on the right) was constructed in 1927 and opened to the public in 1927. It afforded travelers the ability to cross the Colorado River by car. The original bridge was closed in 1990 after it was determined the traffic flow was more than the bridge would handle. The new bridge (on the left) was completed in 1995. The original bridge remains open to foot traffic.